Dialogue Ireland Conference 2002
WHO IS JESUS?
The Qur'an gives great honour to Jesus the Messiah, Son of Mary. The references to Him do not in any way amount to a biography, being only 93 verses and 64 of them are given to the nativity story. In view of the lives of other prophets in the Qur'an this is extremely brief and these verses are scattered through the Qur'an. There are also many stories about Jesus in the Hadith (Traditions).
The Birth of Jesus, The Messiah
Read Qur'an - Sura 3: 33-49 Medinan account; 19: 16-34 Meccan account; 21: 91
He is spoken of a creation by God, a sign of His power (Be and it is)
The Miracles of Jesus the Messiah
- As a baby - Sura 3:46, 5: 110; 19:27-32
- I am indeed a servant/slave of Allah, 'And Allah, God gave him a revelation, and appointed him as a prophet.'
- As a child - Read Sura 3: 49; 5:110
- As an adult - Read Sura 3: 49; 5: 110-118
- healed the blind, the leper, raised the dead, and a 'table from heaven'
Words Ascribed to Jesus the Messiah
Sura 19: 27-33, Sura 3:52-53, Sura 5: 112-120
'O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, 'Worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of Allah? He will say:"Glory to Thee! Never could I say what I had not right to say . Had I said such a thing,...'Never said I to them aught except what Thou dist command me to say to wit, 'Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord';
Sura 61:6 Jesus confirms His role as a messenger and prophesies of another messenger to come "Whose name shall be Ahmad."
The Death and Ascension of Jesus the Messiah
Sura 19: 15,& 30 (two similar passages but understood differently.)
Sura 3: 55; 5:120 God promised to take him (wafa) a verb normally used to cause to die.
Sura 4: 157 ff. And 5: 70
They said "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, The Messenger of Allah -but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no certain knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not. Nay Allah raised him up unto Himself and Allah is exalted in Power, Wise"
- the Jews did not kill Jesus,
- The Jews wanted to kill him.
- someone did die, with the likeness or appearance of Jesus.
- God took Jesus, his ascension without a death.
Qur'anic descriptions, names and titles of Jesus the Messiah
- His Personal Name - 'Isa Son of Mary, (Ibn Maryam.)
- Prophet (Nabi)
- The Slave of Allah (Abdullahi)
- The Messiah (Al-Masihu)
- A Word of Allah (Kalimatullahi)
- The Spirit of God (Ruhullahi)
Ata Ur-Rahim, M. Jesus A Prophet of Islam. MWH London Pub., 1997
Cragg, Kenneth Jesus and the Muslim, An Exploration, Oxford, OneWorld, 1999
Parrinder, G. Jesus in the Qur'an, Sheldon Press, London, 1976